Due to the complex and hands-on nature of the construction industry, it has a range of potential risks. It’s important you’re aware of these risks and get the right construction insurance to stay protected.

There have been some reductions in the number of injuries and fatalities in the industry over the past 10 years. Yet, there’s still a long way to go and no doubt that it still remains a high risk industry.

One off or Annual Projects

Contract works insurance policies insure the construction-related activities of a construction project into one packaged policy, covering the interests of all parties involved in the development. Covered parties can include the project owner, general contractor, subcontractors, and in some cases, materials and equipment suppliers.

Contract works insurance, sometimes referred to as “Construction All Risks Insurance”, covers accidental risks of physical loss or physical damage to the contract works during construction as well as third party liabilities and the advance loss of profits. It is an all-risk policy, subject to policy conditions.

Types of Contract Works Insurance Policies

There are two main types of Contract Works Insurance policies available. These are:

Annual Contract Works

One Off Contract Works

Each policy can include sub-limits for:

  • Employees Tools
  • Principal Supplied Materials
  • Mobile Machinery & Equipment
  • Materials Stored Onsite / Offsite
  • Transit Cover
  • Contract Works Insurance can cover:
  • Construction of buildings and other structures

  • Erection and installation of machinery, plant and equipment
  • Dry and wet civil works
  • Legal liability
  • Advanced loss of profits
  • Advanced loss of rental
  • Delay in start up, and
  • Holding costs and standing charges.

Who Needs Contract Works Insurance?

Builders have traditionally been the main occupation that take out a Contract Works Insurance policy. The requirements for this type of cover has now spread further to include:

  • Trades people who run their own projects
  • Owner Builders
  • Sub-contractors who run their own projects on the side

Does Contract Works Insurance replace Public Liability Insurance?

A Contract Works Insurance policy can include Public Liability Insurance. Traditionally, the Public Liability cover in a Contract Works policy is broader and can include:

  • Sub-Contractor Liability
  • Products Liability
  • Cross Liability

Why should I contact HIFS?

At HIFS we have leveraged our networks, strong relationships, and our depth of knowledge in this space to customise insurance solutions for your needs.

  • Industry qualified and experienced team
  • Access to leading insurers and specialist underwriters ensuring quality covers
  • Ability to place high hazard risks
  • Competitive premiums
  • Flexible payment options
  • Professional insurance review and free no obligation quotations


As experts in this area of insurance, we work closely with our clients to understand their unique needs. We approach insurance companies on your behalf to get a range of coverage and pricing options. We compare these options and present our recommendations to you. We then secure the insurance that you select and review it with you annually.

Our Service Locations

  • Pakenham
  • Glen Waverley
  • Dandenong
  • Wantirna
  • Toorak
  • Caroline Springs
  • Greensborough
  • Donvale
  • St Kilda
  • Southbank
  • Brighton
  • Boroondara
Contact Us

Feel free to call us on
1800 931 997
Monday - Friday, 8am - 7pm

Order a Call Back
Our Email

Drop us a line anytime at
and we’ll get back soon.

Start Writing